INSTITUTION RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INITIATIVE
Ghent University, Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 25, B-9000 Ghent
WEB SITE OF THE INITIATIVE
- Financial support for refugee students
- Help desk and supporting services for refugee students
- Housing for refugee students
- Language and other introductory courses for refugee students
- University policies on access to higher education
- Newly arrived refugees
- Refugees of second generation
DESCRIPTION AND METHODOLOGIES
Refugees are welcome at Ghent University to study, to obtain a doctorate (PhD) or to carry out research.
To be accepted as a student at Ghent University, refugees need to fulfil admission requirements:
- Refugees should have completed secondary education in their home country.
- They should have been studying in higher education in their home country.
Study costs and financial support
At enrolment, students will be charged the tuition fee, amongst other costs for books and materials. If they are refugees or they have the subsidiary protection status, they might be eligible for the reduced tuition fee and they can apply for a scholarship of the Flemish government.
Ghent University’s Social Service gives advice and support on refugees' financial situation and assists them with the scholarship application: www.ugent.be/socialedienst
Information sessions are also organised for refugees about 'studying at Ghent University.
RESULTS AND IMPACT
Refugees are welcome to study at Ghent University:
They receive support regarding:
- Course Programmes
- Admission requirements and application procedure
- Language courses
- Preparatory Higher Education Programme
- Study costs and financial support
- Study support
- Doctoral Research (PhD)
- scientific research
In addition, refugees are also welcome to work at UGent (research). Some of the vacancies for researchers are explicitly open for refugees.