- Financial support for refugee students
- Help desk and supporting services for refugee students
- Intercultural competences activities for staff
- Language and other introductory courses for refugee students
- Non formal education activities for students
- Recognition of studies and prior learning for refugee students
- Tutoring and peer support for refugee students
- University policies on access to higher education
DESCRIPTION AND METHODOLOGIES
The Inclusion Office located in the Student Services Team has implemented a number of initiatives to promote higher education to refugees and asylum seekers in Luxembourg.
The first step is to ensure refugees and asylum seekers are aware Higher Education is a path open to them. The Office works in collaboration with schools, social workers and organisations (eg. Red Cross, Caritas) to reach this population.
At the Inclusion Office, where the main focus over the past 2 years has been to support refugees and asylum seekers during the application process, is offered support with applications, documentation (also missing documentation), CV’s and motivation letters.
If an application is accepted the focus changes to retention. With the support of local organisations the Office has been able to offer scholarships to students with a refugee background to ensure a secure financial situation for the duration of their studies. The Office hopes to implement a peer coaching program offering academic support in Oct 2020, however this will very much depend on the Covid situation.