INSTITUTION RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INITIATIVE
University of Calabria
via Pietro Bucci, 87036 Arcavacata di Rende, Cs
International relation office [email protected]
WEB SITE OF THE INITIATIVE
- Financial support for refugee students
- Help desk and supporting services for refugee students
- Housing for refugee students
- Language and other introductory courses for refugee students
- Recognition of studies and prior learning for refugee students
- Social Events
- Tutoring and peer support for refugee students
- Newly arrived refugees
- Refugees of second generation
- University staff (academic and administrative)
DESCRIPTION AND METHODOLOGIES
The aim of the project is to integrate refugees students with the other international students and with the academic community in a co-living place.
The staff of International Relations Office will take charge of the student’s tutoring and welcoming, for example the refugee will be helped with university procedures like enrolment, board and lodging, networking with Questura and other authorities. The Office will introduce the refugee to the international community in the campus (over 800 students from over 70 different countries) and follow up their inclusion process.
RESULTS AND IMPACT
Inclusion in academic community, positive academic results until graduation. The major strength in this initiative consists in the empathy towards the refugees while the main challenge is to help the refugee fit into an unknown context.