INSTITUTION RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INITIATIVE
Hellenic Open University
Hellenic Open University, Parodos Aristotelous 20, 26 335, Patra
WEB SITE OF THE INITIATIVE
- Intercultural competences activities for staff
- University staff (academic and administrative)
DESCRIPTION AND METHODOLOGIES
The Hellenic Open University Postgraduate Program entitled "Language Education for Refugees and Immigrants" is designed for teachers and graduates who wish to complete or deepen their knowledge and skills in teaching the language course in various languages, as well as and develop new resources that they can later apply to specific contexts and levels. Topics will provide postgraduate students with a strong background in theoretical literature, as well as appropriate methodology for teaching practice, course design, and an introduction to the most important research tools.
RESULTS AND IMPACT
Upon successful completion of the Master Programme, students are able to:
- complete their language teaching skills in various languages, adopting a repertoire approach (interlinguistic)
- develop deeper knowledge and skills in relation to language scenarios in schools and non-formal education
- develop new resources, with an emphasis on Arabic language and Arabic culture, to then apply them in specific contexts
- incorporate knowledge and understanding of cultural elements in the language lesson
- communicate and collaborate effectively within groups, recognizing the benefits of collaborative learning
- acquire a strong background in theoretical literature, as well as in the appropriate educational methodology within the classroom, in lesson planning.
- create educational material, suitable for the needs of their students.
- be actively involved in the field of practice through visits to schools, refugee living spaces or institutions related to the formal and informal learning of refugees and migrants in various parts of Greece and other countries.
- have developed their multicultural, multilingual and critical language awareness
- help other people develop their multicultural and multilingual awareness