TITLE OF THE INITIATIVE
The EUI Refugee Initiative
INSTITUTION RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INITIATIVE
European University Institute
via dei Roccettini, 9 50014
WEB SITE OF THE INITIATIVE
- Financial support for refugee students
- Help desk and supporting services for refugee students
- Housing for refugee students
- Intercultural competences activities for staff
- Language and other introductory courses for refugee students
- Non formal education activities for students
- Social Events
- Newly arrived refugees
- Refugees of second generation
DESCRIPTION AND METHODOLOGIES
The Refugee Initiative is composed by volunteering researchers and administrators from the EUI. It is divided into six different subcommittees which are operating with specific tasks assigned to each.
- Communication committee
- Fundraising and social activities committee
- Housing committee
- Language and education committee
- Job training and placement committee
1) COMMUNICATION: The aim is to take care of internal and external communication, to inform the EUI community through regular blog posts and email alerts. and to keep contact with external interested parties and manage the common email address.
Representatives: Julia Hiltrop and Şeyda Kapusuz
2)FUNDRASING AND SOCIAL ACTIVITIES: the aim is to organise social events to foster friendships and connections between EUI staff and its guests, to ensure the promotion of and participation in on-going initiatives in the city of Florence and surroundings and to be also in charge of fundraising and goods collections, organising cultural events, as well as sales activities in order to raise funds for the initiative.
Representatives: Tika Bobokhidze
3)HOUSING: the responsiblility for the conservation and care of the real estate properties and mobile property provided to the guests. The EUI offers two fully restored apartments with common areas for socialising, fully equipped kitchens for cooking, free internet connection.
Representatives: Ana Rosa Del Castillo and Machteld Nijsten
4)LANGUAGE AND EDUCATION: the aim is to organise language classes, courses on Italian culture as well IT-classes and to set up language-tandems between the guests and members of the EUI community.
Representatives: Giulia Giannasi, Jashwanni Grewal, and Elena Maggi
5) JOB TRAINING & PLACEMENT : they collaborate directly with the Caritas Training and Work Office developing training opportunities on the basis of interest and competencies of our guests.
Representatives: Eleonora Milazzo and John William Trajer
RESULTS AND IMPACT
At the moment the guests are a group of five spirited young men, aged between 20 and 28 years. They come from various countries of Sub-Saharan Africa, such as Ghana, Nigeria, and the Republic of Guinea. They have the same plans, hopes and dreams as any bold young mind has. Currently some of the guests are conducting professional traineeships and all of them are attending Italian classes. Some are preparing the CELI Language Exam (Esame di Certificazione Italiano) and the Terza Media Exam, while others already successfully passed both exams with excellent scores.