TITLE OF THE INITIATIVE
INSTITUTION RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INITIATIVE
Metropolia University of Applied Sciences
Metropolia University of Applied Sciences, Myllypuro campus, Myllypurontie 1, 00920 Helsinki
WEB SITE OF THE INITIATIVE
- Help desk and supporting services for refugee students
- Recognition of studies and prior learning for refugee students
- Newly arrived refugees
- Refugees of second generation
DESCRIPTION AND METHODOLOGIES
SIMHE (Supporting Immigrants in Higher Education in Finland)-Metropolia’s Guidance and Counselling Services consist of personal and group guidance for immigrants who are eligible to apply for higher education, have completed studies in higher education, or have completed a degree in higher education.
Services for Recognition of Competences aim at recognizing the competences of immigrant-background people through Mapping of Competences. Mapping of Competences is implemented as process the duration of which is about one month. The participant will
• learn to express his/her competences through self-evaluation and comparing the previously acquired degree against the matching degree in his/her field at Metropolia
• take part in In-Depth Professional Discussion with a Metropolia expert of the field
• receive a document for his/her competences based on the In-Depth Professional Discussion.
The service is aimed at those who have completed a degree in the fields of business or technology outside Finland. The main motto behind the service is encapsulated with a phrase “international talents need local references”.